Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Discovering the lost art of shutting up

"Do you see a person wise in their own eyes?  There is more hope for a fool than for them."  Proverbs 26:12

I just finished scrolling through my Facebook and Twitter feeds this morning.  As usual, there are strong opinions voiced about politics, sports, and the latest controversial evangelical pastor.

We all think we are right, and how dare anyone disagree!

I was never so aware of this until social media was invented.  I mean, I've always been aware of dissenting opinions.  There's nothing wrong with having your own opinion, but we have become a society of dogmatics.  We are so sure we are right, we state our positions as though they are unchallengeable.

I'm not even referring to matters of doctrine or spiritual truths.  It could be a debate over which coffee shop has the best lattes.  We all have an opinion, and we have this deep need to share it with the world and defend it to the death.

I'm not saying I'm any different.  I happen to be very passionate on a number of subjects.  I have been known to engage in some of these intense disagreements on occasion.  The thing is, I almost always end up regretting it.  Why?  Because someone ends up getting hurt, and in the end no one ever changes their mind.  Worse than that, when it involves members of the family of God, it reflects poorly on the love we are to have for one another.

I've also come to realize (and this was a shocking blow, by the way) that I'm not always right.  And I really, really dislike the taste of crow.

Several years ago, in the course of preparing a Bible study about hearing from God, I discovered the Bible has a lot to say about being quiet.  I compiled a list of verses that I called "The Duct Tape Verses", because they are the equivalent of having spiritual duct tape slapped over your mouth.  I will list them below.

Though I am not always successful in applying that duct tape, I hope to continue to grow in my devotion to brotherly love, and to honor others above myself (Romans 12:10).  I will continue to have strong opinions about many things, but I hope to keep most of them to myself.


DUCT TAPE VERSES

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding
       but delights in airing his own opinions.
Proverbs 18:2

A fool's lips bring him strife,
       and his mouth invites a beating.
Proverbs 18:6

A fool's mouth is his undoing,
       and his lips are a snare to his soul.
Proverbs 18:7

He who answers before listening—
       that is his folly and his shame.
Proverbs 18:13

The tongue has the power of life and death,
       and those who love it will eat its fruit.
Proverbs 18:21

A man's wisdom gives him patience;
       it is to his glory to overlook an offense.
Proverbs 19:11

I said, "I will watch my ways
       and keep my tongue from sin;
       I will put a muzzle on my mouth
       as long as the wicked are in my presence."
Psalm 39:1

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
       and discerning if he holds his tongue.
Proverbs 17:28

But the LORD is in his holy temple;
       let all the earth be silent before him.
Habakkuk 2:20

Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD;
       keep watch over the door of my lips.
Psalm 141:3

A wise man's heart guides his mouth,
       and his lips promote instruction.
Proverbs 16:23

He who guards his mouth and his tongue
       keeps himself from calamity.
Proverbs 21:23

Do not be quick with your mouth,
       do not be hasty in your heart
       to utter anything before God.
       God is in heaven
       and you are on earth,
       so let your words be few.
Ecclesiastes 5:2

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29

He who guards his lips guards his life,
       but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.
Proverbs 13:3

When words are many, sin is not absent,
       but he who holds his tongue is wise.
Proverbs 10:19

A man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor,
       but a man of understanding holds his tongue.
Proverbs 11:12

Reckless words pierce like a sword,
       but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
Proverbs 12:18

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
James 1:26

Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.
James 3:5

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
1 John 3:18

Fools vent their anger,
 but the wise quietly hold it back.
Proverbs 29:11

There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking.
Proverbs 29:20

And my personal favorite…taken completely out of context, but very funny and often true…


If only you would be altogether silent!
       For you, that would be wisdom.
Job 13:5

1 comment:

  1. What's funny is that I have written "me" beside many of these Proverbs passages. As in posting myself as a fool-- too often. Thanks again for the reminder.

    I still think often of your encouragement to not vent. If you keep shutting my mouth, I may turn into a quiet person :) Or maybe just a more thoughtful, kinder person. Hmmm. . .

    ReplyDelete