Saturday, June 18, 2011

10 Things I Learned From My Dad

When my father passed away four years ago, a lot was said about the legacy he left. Most of it revolved around the hundreds of lives he impacted spiritually through the years. Yet, the lives he most affected were those of his children, though not strictly in spiritual matters.

Even though there were many times when my father and I did not see eye to eye, much of the wisdom he passed on to me has resulted in great blessings in my life...at least, when I chose to listen to it.

Here are a few important things I learned from my dad:

1.  Laugh, even (and maybe most importantly) at yourself. My dad LOVED to tell jokes. They were usually the corniest jokes you ever heard, and if you lived at our house, you had probably heard them a hundred times. Yet, every time he would tell a joke, he would laugh even harder than the person he told it to, like Dad himself was hearing it for the first time. I guess he figured if the joke wasn't all that funny, he might be. To this day, I can still hear my dad's laugh in my head. And my kids would probably tell you I inherited his same sense of warped humor.

2.  Pinch pennies. My father was probably the most frugal person I've ever known. When I left college to work for Dad in his newly acquired radio station, the two of us shared an apartment until Mom was able to make the move. I quickly discovered Dad's grocery shopping consisted of buying everything generic. Generic macaroni and cheese, vegetables, and tuna. Although, I appreciated his desire to save money, I finally drew the line at generic toilet paper! Later in life, as a single parent trying to make ends meet, I understood how important it is to know how to save money, especially when you worked so hard for it.  

3.  The importance of family. Even though his job required him to work long hours, when Dad was at home, he tried to be as engaged as possible. He played games with us and tried to coach my brothers in their sports. We took a family vacation every summer, and our other vacation time was spent with extended family. He always maintained close relationships with his own siblings as well. I always felt I was part of a family that loved and cared for one another.

4.  Take risks. I know my mother might read this and disagree that this one was a good thing. Dad always seemed to have an idea for a new business or venture, and he could have been accused of being a bit impulsive about pursuing those plans. Unfortunately, most of his ideas ended up being less than lucrative. Still, I learned how important it is to run after your dreams, trusting God to provide for all your needs. And hopefully, I learned from his mistakes. Okay, Mom?

5.  Read my Bible. As I mentioned before, Dad was a hard worker. Many nights, he came home from work exhausted. He would park himself in his recliner, and you could bet there would be one of two things in his hand: either a crossword puzzle, or his Bible. Although he might fall asleep reading either one, he modeled for me how important it is to spend time in God's Word each day. The older I get, the more I realize the spiritual power in reading this supernatural book, and I need that!

6.  Help others. Dad was also a great role model of "helping his neighbor." Whether it was a neighbor or stranger, Dad had no problem reaching out to someone in need. Once, during a raging blizzard, he rescued two college students from their stranded car, and brought them to our house. They ended up spending a couple of days snowed in with us. It was not unusual for Dad to bring home a stranger for dinner, or to leave the house to help someone who needed a hand.

7.  Share your faith. Billy Graham had nothing on my father. Ok, well, he did have a much larger ministry, but Dad was a bold evangelist. He had no problem speaking of Jesus to anyone and everyone he knew. He also had a natural comfort in talking to people. I have a long way to go in this area, and I'm not as outgoing as Dad was, but I hope to follow more of his example in this area of my life.

8.  Work hard. Have I mentioned that my father was a hard worker? Both he and my mother were tireless, or at least they seemed to be. They never sat down until the work was done. That ethic has been ingrained in me since I was a small child, and I'm glad. I wasn't so glad back then, but I'm thankful now. 

9.  Use your gifts. If you needed something fixed - anything - you called Dad. He just had a knack for figuring out the way things worked. This opened the door for him to build relationships with a lot of people, and to make a difference in their lives. It took me a long time to recognize my God-given gifts, but now that I do, I'm working to instill this in my daily living.

10.  Have a positive outlook. My dad definitely had "the glass is half full" outlook. I think it's because he always saw things through the lens of eternity. He knew it would all get worked out in the end. I am incredibly thankful to have been raised with that attitude, and I want to leave that legacy of hope and joy to my children. 

Thanks, Dad, for all you taught me.  Enjoy Fathers' Day, celebrating with our Heavenly Father!  

No comments:

Post a Comment