Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Coming around the corner and bumping into Jesus

It's funny how words affect us.

I've been reading a devotional book called "Jesus Calling", by Sarah Young.  I really like this book because each entry is like a personal message from Jesus.  The book often encourages me to focus on Him, but I keep asking, "How do I do that?"

I also am reading "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers, and today's reading gave me a mental picture to help me understand how to live this out.  (Note to self: remember this the next time you get annoyed because someone else says the same thing to your husband that you did, only using different words, and he listens to them!)  Chambers says we should be "expecting Jesus Christ at every turn. This will give our life the attitude of child-wonder which He wants it to have."

I started to imagine what my day might look like if I were to expect Jesus around every corner.  What if I expected to encounter Him as I'm walking the dogs, shopping at the grocery store, driving in my car, or doing laundry?

Jesus told us to seek and we will find.  How can we find Jesus if we don't seek Him?  Seeking something (or in this case, someone) includes an expectation of finding it.  If I go to the grocery store seeking apples, I expect to find them.  If I approach every part of my day expecting to find Jesus, I can be assured I will.  And when I find Him, I will also find peace.

One could compare it to a game of hide-and-seek, except in this case, no one is hiding.  I wonder how many times I've walked right past Him and didn't even know it.

My expectations are set high today.  This is gonna be great!

2 comments:

  1. I love this :) I especially love the analogy of the apples at the store. Do you REALLY believe you will find Him? Because if I go to Wal-mart to get groceries, I fully expect them all to be there. Awesome stuff Lisa :)

    And people tell my husband things I've told him too. And he listens to them. You're not alone in that realm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord. - Jeremiah 29:13-14a

    ReplyDelete