Thursday, September 03, 2009

Jalapeno scalloped potatoes

At the request of friends, I promised to post new recipes here when I try them.  I love to experiment in the kitchen, and my family has been both the beneficiary and guinea pig of many of these tries.

Tonight, I was looking for something different to do with pork chops.  Considered grilling them, but didn't feel like babysitting them, so I dug through the pantry for an alternative.  I found a bag of french fried onions.  Dipped the chops in a little egg/milk mixture, coated them in the crushed onions, and baked them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.  Perfect.

Now, what to add to this meal, I thought...I had some potatoes waiting to be eaten.  I had a couple of jalapenos on hand as well.  I took an old tried and true recipe of my mother's, scalloped potatoes, and jazzed it up a bit.  Here's how it came together:

Jalapeno scalloped potatoes

3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3 c. milk
8 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1 jalapeno, chopped fine

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, to make a white sauce.  Layer half the potatoes, half the onion, half the green pepper and half of the jalapeno in a 13 x 9 pan (or roaster pan).  Top with half the white sauce.  Layer remaining potatoes, onion, green pepper and jalepeno, then top with remaining white sauce.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I should mention that my husband, who likes spicy food, thought there should be more jalapeno.  It was perfect for me, so adjust according to your own taste.  I think bacon might be a nice addition to this dish as well.  Maybe some fresh dill also.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment